Three secrets of life extension
The question “How to live a long time and not grow old?” Since antiquity has stirred up the minds of many prominent people. If you believe the scientists, the average life expectancy of a primitive man was only 25 years old, a citizen of the Roman Empire —35, and a resident of medieval Europe — about 40.
Progress brought with it medicines for many diseases and reduced traumatic risks, thereby increasing the lifespan of our contemporaries to seven dozen. However, scientists say: this is not the limit. The reserves of the human body are designed for 120 years. We will tell you how to increase your life by a quarter of a century.
From the elixirs of youth of the ancients to modern gerontology
The first mentions of the attempts of a man to deceive death, having pulled out of its clutches the eternal life, are found in the Sumerian myths about King Gilgamesh, dated to the II millennium BC. er The inhabitants of Mesopotamia believed in the existence of a magical flower, capable of giving eternal youth.
The ancient Egyptians more practically approached the issue of life extension: their scientists saw the source of longevity in certain dietary restrictions, which, however, did not prevent them from practicing other methods.So, the great Cleopatra from the Ptolemaic dynasty surrounded herself with babies, believing holy: their presence makes her younger.
The inhabitants of ancient Rome sincerely believed: the source of longevity is contained in young blood. Therefore, after gladiatorial fights, elderly people descended to the arena to wash themselves with the blood of fallen fighters.
In the Middle Ages, life was prolonged by virgins. Adventurous people did a good business on this, renting out girls for the elderly. rejuvenation rate was 24 days, to obtain the desired effect of person needed only to sleep next to the young girls who did not know the man.
More or less serious research on the phenomenon of aging are found in the writings of the ancient Greek physician Asclepiades (128 - 56 BCE...), Who stated the reason for aging are tiny, invisible to the eye the particles that make up the human body. In young people, they are in continuous motion, and in the elderly - in stagnation. Making the particles move again, and walking, walking, and exercise can rejuvenate the body.
Since that time, science has stepped far forward, but scientists have not yet found the elixir of eternal youth.But as a result of research, gerontologists were able to understand how old age can be postponed and the life of an elderly person can be extended by an average of 20 years.
Three secrets of life extension
Israel is a country whose life expectancy is one of the highest in the world. Scientists conducted a series of studies that helped to identify factors that allow a person to live for 20 years more. The results with which we want to acquaint you, were published in the journal Personality & Social Psychology.
It turns out that the life expectancy of a person is only 25% dependent on genetic predisposition. The rest is determined by lifestyle. What prolongs youth and allows you to live longer?
1. Moderate exercise + 6 years.
The “Movement - Life” rubber stamp best reflects the conclusion of Israeli medics. Daily exercise for the elderly is 150 minutes of brisk walking. It can be divided into several parts, the minimum duration of each should not be less than 10 minutes.
Virtually any physical activity is useful, but in view of the increased bone fragility in the elderly and a decrease in flexibility and endurance, physicians advise the following forms of sports activities:
- bicycle.With low loads on the heart, it perfectly trains the muscles of the legs, stimulates the lungs, develops coordination of movements and allows you to maintain the mobility of the hip joints. No to arthritis, gout and shortness of breath;
- fast walk. The most affordable way to strengthen the heart muscle and arterial vessel walls, as well as promote mobility of the joints of the hips, ankles and knees;
- gymnastics. It gives the load on all the muscles of the body, keeping them in good shape, maintains flexibility and develops the vestibular apparatus. Elderly people are perfect yoga classes, which, with minimal stress on the cardiovascular system, provide the maximum effect;
- swimming. Relieves pain from chronic arthritis, trains muscles, removing the additional load from the joints, which is very important for women during menopause. Doctors say: swimming contributes to the production of endorphin - the hormone of happiness, and he, in turn, prolongs life.
2. Low-calorie meals + 11 years.
Why should food be low-calorie? With age, the body's ability to remove free oxygen radicals, which shorten our lives, is sharply reduced.Energetically poor food leads to a decrease in their formation, automatically extending our life by an average of 11 years.
This is confirmed by the example of Okinawa residents who are considered long-livers among the Japanese, whose life expectancy is already the highest in the world. To live to 100 years of age and remain active islanders allows poor calories, but rich in vitamins and minerals food of marine origin.
Doctors have proved: it is possible to add to your life for more than a dozen years, observing the following rules:
- adhere to the daily calories:
|40 — 60||2800||2400|
|60 — 70||2500||2200|
- We increase the protein content in food up to 110-140 g per day (the ratio of plant and animal proteins should be 1: 1). Protein is needed by muscles, and we need muscles. Eat porridge with milk, stewed dumplings, boiled lean meat and fish. We limit the use of water extracts from fish, meat and mushrooms (broths). They can not eat every day, it slows down the metabolism and contributes to the development of gout;
- reduce carbohydrate intake: the daily rate of an elderly person is 3 g per 1 g of protein. By this we unload the pancreas and prevent the formation of excess weight. Alas, fat people live 7 years less than slim.
Try to get carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits, buckwheat and oatmeal, whole grain bread. Discard sugar, muffin and carbonated drinks;
- Fats are important, but are needed in limited quantities - at the rate of 1 g per kilogram of weight. Hard to digest and poorly digestible fats of animal origin should be replaced by vegetable (olive, corn, sunflower oil). By this we will reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood and improve the flow of metabolic processes.
Butter rich in vitamins A and D is comparatively easy to digest, and therefore doctors recommend introducing it into the menu of an elderly person at the rate of 30% of the daily intake of fats;
- vitamins C, A, E, B must be present in the diet of the elderly1and B6. They affect the immune system, the absorption of fat, the state of vision and reduce the likelihood of atherosclerosis, ultimately adding to your life for a couple of years.
Where to look for vitamins?
|Vitamin||Products leading in content|
|WITH||Citrus, kiwi, black currant, red pepper, dogrose, sea buckthorn|
|BUT||Carrots, hawthorn, dates, cheese, eggs, liver, butter|
|E||Vegetable oils, Brussels sprouts, cherries, broccoli, sunflower seeds, almonds, peanuts|
|AT1||Heart, milk, liver, cereals, peas, bran, walnuts|
|AT6||Dairy products, green pepper, cabbage, fish|
- use less salt and drink more liquid - not less than 1.5 liters per day;
- discard fried foods. Because of it, the gastrointestinal tract has to work with a double load, while the metabolic processes in the body are slowed down, leading to premature aging;
- switch to a 4-time diet with 4-hour breaks between meals. Distribute the diet as follows: 1st breakfast - 30% of the diet, 2nd breakfast - 20%, lunch - 40%, dinner - 10% (no later than 2 hours before bedtime).
If you have an increased appetite, eat 5 times a day, but in small portions, not exceeding the daily intake of calories.
3. Positive attitude + 7 years.
Statistics show: optimists live longer. Live communication with other people, an active lifestyle and having a hobby promotes a positive attitude. Do not lock yourself in and do not enclose yourself in the four walls, choosing between television and the grumpy neighbor. Remember: your life is in your hands.
What shortens life?
Gerontologists have found out what factors adversely affect longevity. Here is the conclusion of scientists:
- overweight takes a person up to 10 years of life. Every 15 extra pounds reduce the human age by 3 years, the extreme degree of obesity will take you a whole decade;
- chronic stress otminusuet 8 years. Therefore, it is important to always remain calm and tune in a positive way;
- sedentary lifestyle accelerates aging by 9 years. Lying on the couch and doing nothing has a detrimental effect on metabolism, triggering dystrophic processes in cells;
- Smoking, which causes dyspnea, coughing, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and high cholesterol, cuts off a dozen years of your measure.
Be active, improve your life qualitatively, and old age will be forced to retreat before your desire to live and stay young.