Rabbits of the Californian breed: breeding, description and features of the contents
Rabbit breeding is private and on an industrial scale- a very profitable branch of livestock. You can get a variety of products with minimal labor costs and the use of affordable, cheap feeds. Success largely depends on the choice of animals for breeding. The "Californian" breed of rabbits is one of the most popular in the world. Such eared fuzzy bred in the US, European countries, the middle band of Russia, Tatarstan, Ukraine.
History of deducing
A resident of California (USA) - breeder George West- in the 20-ies of the last century set a task to breed a breed of rabbits with exceptional quality of fur. As a basis, he took two chinchilla and Himalayan breeds. The first generation he had crossed with the New Zealand white breed. Further, the breeding was carried out among the individuals of the desired type. Tough work has borne fruit, though with a big bias towards the meat direction.
As a result, the "Californian" rabbits took the best qualities from their ancestors:
- New Zealand white "awarded" a large and strong physique;
- Himalayas - magnificent wool and magnificent color;
- chinchilla provided excellent meat qualities.
Despite the good productive qualities,hybrids were not particularly popular. Only in 1928 a group of similar animals was recognized as a breed and officially received its name in honor of the state, where it was withdrawn.
Finally, towards the end of the thirties of the twentieth century,American rabbit breeders paid attention to unpretentious animals with good indicators of meat productivity. From the USA, they were first brought to Europe, and then from England and Hungary (in the 70s) already to the post-Soviet space.
Russian specialists are wary of thebreed, bred in a fairly warm, compared with the middle band of the Russian Federation, the climate. But their fears quickly disappeared. "Californians" perfectly adapted to the new conditions, gave a large and healthy offspring, quickly gained high lethal weight. Today, animals can be found on a private farmstead and large farming farms.
Description of the rabbit of the Californian breed:
- Head. Light, small, slightly hunchbacked, densely planted on a short neck. Ears erect, short, not more than 11 cm, well pubescent, with rounded tips. Eyes pink or red.
- Torso.Has a cylindrical shape with a noticeable extension in the back. The breast is well developed deep and wide, there is no dewlap. The body has a harmonious structure, medium length, muscular, especially developed posterior part. The back is short, even and wide. Croup is round, wide with well developed musculature. The tail is short. The skeleton is light and very durable.
- Extremities. Short, powerful, have a thickening along the entire length of the paws. The claws are black or brown. There is a hair on the pads.
- Wool. Long up to 3 cm, thick, shiny, silky, elastic.
Peculiarities of color
The standard of the breed of Californian rabbit clearlydetermines its color. In purebred animals, fur is pure white. Contrasting black, less often brown, spots are located on the muzzle, ears, limbs (on the front - on the tips, on the back - to the wrists) and tail. Markings should be sharply outlined and clearly marked. The color tone determines the gene:
- black (Ks);
- havana (H.).
The appearance of spots of any other shade of red,striped and other speaks about the violation of breeding in purity. Do not stain on other parts of the body on the sides or around the eyes. The shape of the stain on the muzzle is rounded, unlike the "butterfly" breed, they have a nasal stain similar to the open wings of an insect.
Newborn babies have no spots, theyappear on the 30-45 day. This is typical for "summer" kids. In the winter, the rabbit can be born with a corresponding breed color. This is due to the specific "work" of the enzyme tyrosine. At low temperatures it starts up faster, at high temperatures it can "brake". Winter and autumn kids quickly acquire a distinctive color. Today there are two varieties of the Californian breed rabbits:
- Moscow, the threshold of irritation tyrosinan just above 00, the spots are formed somewhat later and their color is less saturated;
- Saxon, threshold of irritation of tyrosine on average - +210, the rabbit is stained almost immediately after birth.
Color of animals is principally for breeding purebred rabbits, for obtaining only meat products this is not so essential.
The attractiveness of breeding this breed in economic gain. The economic characteristics of the bunnies of the Californian breed:
- live weight on average 4.5-5.2 kg (up to 6 kg), females larger;
- to slaughter are ready at the age of 150 days;
- the index of confusion 60-64% (maximum for meat breeds);
- yield of meat - up to 60%, with up to 85% accounted for pure meat and 2.5% for fat;
- Fecundity - the female brings on average 7-8 rabbits, not infrequently 10 (maximum - 16);
- weight of newborn rabbits - 45-50 grams;
- early maturing, at the age of 3 months gain up to 2.8 kg of live weight;
- meat diet has a delicate taste;
- Good quality skins, universal white color are in demand in fur production.
Animals intensively gain weight in the first 5-7months of life. The best term for slaughter is considered to be the age of 150 days. After this period, the daily increase is significantly reduced, and the consumption of feed units per 1 kg of products increases.