How to sharpen knives - practical tips
Comfortable and sharp knife - an indispensable tool in the kitchen. Unfortunately, even good knives periodically have to sharpen. This, at first glance, a simple exercise requires a certain skill and patience. To know how to sharpen knives, we suggest using simple but effective tips.
Today, the tool for sharpening knives is quite easy to find. For any taste you will be offered electrical or mechanical machines, grinding stones or even sets of grinding tools.
Knife Sharpeners - What to Choose?
Properly sharpen knives can be using any device. The main task is to choose the one that is most comfortable for you.
Grindstone or bar- if used correctly, it will make the knives sharp for a long time. Such stones differ in the number of abrasive particles that fit on 1 cubic millimeter. The larger the grain of the bar, the sharper it will make the blade.In order for the knife not only to be sharp, but also not to have hooks on the blade, it is better to use two different grinding bars - coarse-grained for sharpening, and fine-grained - subsequent grinding.
Mechanical machinefor sharpening knives easier to use than the previous version. All that is required of you is to place the knife between the disks and, changing the angle of the blade, to make it sharpened. Blade sharpening speed depends on the strength and speed with which you can work.
Electric machine- simple and easy to use. They can sharpen not only household kitchen knives, but also hunting and sports. The machine automatically determines the optimum angle of inclination of the blade, it easily and quickly sharpens even the most blunted knives.
Grinding sets- Another device that can facilitate the process of bringing knives in order. Such kits are a system where the angle of sharpening is automatically adjusted, which gives a very good and long-lasting result. In the sets there are several stones with different degrees of grit, for the purpose of ease of use, the handles of stones are made in different colors. There is also a guide for grinding stone and oil (lubricate stones that improve the quality of grinding).
Musatoutwardly similar to a file, serves rather not to sharpen the blade, but to maintain its sharpness without a major sharpening procedure. Mousats are suitable for kitchen knives, their blades should be processed regularly. If the knife is completely blunt, the musat will not cope, and the knife will have to be sharpened.
How to sharpen knives: the secrets of skill
To quickly and accurately sharpen the blade, follow these guidelines.
- First you need to moisten the grindstone with soapy water for 20 minutes. It is necessary that the particles of metal left on the stone during sharpening do not clog in the pores.
- Then the bar should be a little dry, blotted with a towel or napkin.
- Next, smooth movements are sharpening the blade on both sides.
- Movements must be made from oneself, the pressure on the knife should not be very strong.
- The quality of work depends on the angle at which the knife is sharpened. So, to make a razor sharp, you need a corner10 ° -17 °, kitchen knives should be sharpened at an angle of 20 ° -25 °. Hunting and tourist knives are sharpened at 25 ° -30 ° inclination, well, overall knives for butchering meat, or those used in repairs (for example, for cutting wires), are sharpened with an inclination angle of 30 ° -40 °.
- After sharpening the knife, it is necessary to grind the blade. This will remove burrs and irregularities and give the product a neat look.
Ceramic knives are best sharpened in special workshops. You can sharpen ceramic knives at home, but you will need a special machine with a diamond coating.
It is necessary to work on such a machine carefully, adjust the grinding wheel to a low number of revolutions. Do not press the blade firmly against the tool - it is too fragile, and incorrect actions can simply break it.
Sharpening knives correctly is a troublesome business, but quite feasible at home. The main thing is to choose the tool that suits you personally.