How to make a beautiful kite?
A bit of history
The first kites came up, as usual, the Chinese somewhere in the 6th century BC. The use of them was purely practical - with the help of a snake, ropes were thrown across the rivers and deep ravines, and later bridges were built on them.
And the cunning Chinese commanders were even glorified with their help! One of them launched a snake, which could make sounds, over the enemy's camp in the night. Someone thought that they were attacked by demons, someone that it was their guardian spirits that warn of danger. By morning the army fled.
Another general launched a snake in the afternoon, over the palace of the evil ruler. The length of the rope, he calculated the distance to the palace and ordered to dig a tunnel of the desired length. One night with a small detachment, he passed through this tunnel and easily defeated the enemy.
Later, kites helped people achieve tremendous success in conquering the air and exploring natural phenomena.
Nowadays, it serves for a fun pastime of companies of any age. And the process at home will help to understand the aerodynamics, mechanics and design.
Types of kites
Depending on the design, there are:simple snakes, box-shaped and compound trains.By the way, in English-speaking countries a kite is called “kite”, and flying on such a kite is kiting, which has long been a sporting event.
A simple kite differs from a boxed one in that it lies in the same plane. Making such a snake is easiest. The kite train consists of several simple or box-shaped kites that are flexibly interconnected - such a design will remain in the air even with the loss of a pair of links.
There are quite a lot of models of each design (top, box, smile, box diamond, etc.), but since we want to make a snake at home, only the simplest designs will be considered here.
Snakes come in completely different shapes and materials. For the manufacture of any design we need:
- rail or tube for the frame;
- sheets of paper or cloth for the supporting surface of the snake;
- reel, winch, any design convenient for winding a thin rope (in common people - a winder);
- a skein of strong thread, fishing line, fine rope or cord;
- bridle for attachment to a snake fishing line;
- materials for the body that gives the balance of the structure - the tail (sometimes the balance is achieved by the form of the structure itself).
For frame rails need to take lightweight, durable and slightly elastic materials. Frames for professional kites are taken from carbon tubes and rods, but at home you can make from wooden twigs.
Its thickness is not more than 1 mm, so nylon mesh is added for greater strength.
If you are lucky to find a nylon fabric somewhere, then when cutting, lay the patterns diagonally - then it will be easier to stretch it onto the frame and for aerodynamic properties it is better. Bridle and utyazhki to protect the joints of elements is better to do from the skin.
Before choosing a snake and its size, review these tips:
- Snakes of simple designs are unstable in the air, their management requires a large share of skill. Therefore, do not be lazy to spend a little more time - then it will be more interesting to play with such a kite.
- It is important to respect the proportions shown on the diagrams. It may not fly if you have not carefully studied the drawings before manufacture.
- Heavy and big kites run harder if you have no experience.
Simple monoplane snake "Monk"
The scheme of this paper kite is extremely simple, you can make it in 15 minutes. Ideal if you need a short time to take the company of children or adults.
MMaterials and tools: thread, A4 sheet of thick paper, scissors, PVA glue.
- From a sheet of paper you need to make a square and cut out the excess part with scissors.
- Gently bend the edges along the axis as shown in the first diagram.
- Turn down the corners of the paper. The angle may be a little less than in the diagrams - as you prefer.
- The edge of the bent corner is once again bent so that we get something like an accordion or spring.
- Make a “bridle” - cut a piece of thread about 30 cm long and paste it into the resulting pockets of paper.The thread should be glued exactly along the fold, hold it for a while with your fingers and let it dry.
While the snake dries, prepare a tail for it. This is important, without a balance kite will not fly.
- For a snake of this size, the tail should be from 50 cm, depending on the strength of the wind outside. You can make from the same thread as the bridle, but it will be more beautiful to take other colors and non-thick threads for knitting.
- For ordinary sewing threads, we take about 20 pieces of 50 cm each, for woolen ones - 5-6 pieces.
- Fold them together and tie them into a tassel near the end of the tail.
- Cut a triangle out of waste paper and glue the tail to the snake as seen on the diagram.
- Tie a skein to a bridle with a regular thread. Snake ready.
This snake is most often painted in books and shown in films. It looks like a diamond with one shortened axis. It takes a couple of hours.
The materials you need for a quality and durable snake will depend on the region in which you live. If there are strong winds in your region, the structure, naturally, should be more durable. If the winds are weak, then a powerful snake may not fly.
"Sail" consists of two, connected by a cross, laths and canvas stretched on them.As a fabric with a gentle wind, you can take a plastic or trash bag. You will also need tape, scissors, meter, fishing line or durable thin cord and superglue.
Simple manufacturing steps:
- In the slats we make cuts at the ends, fold it with a cross and fix it with scotch tape. You can tie them with a cord and glue.
- In the cuts we make, we circle the line / cord and fix it on top with tape.
- Cut a piece of fabric in the shape of a snake with allowances of a few cm, wrap the design and glue with super glue (you can sew).
- Making a beautiful tail.
- Tied to three short sides on a piece of fishing line about 30 cm in size and tie their ends together - this is a “bridle”. To her fasten the coil and let the snake in flight!
Rhombic serpent "Potter Design"
No, not Harry, but this box-shaped kite flies, if done correctly, not worse.
- wooden slats (8x6) or carbon tubes (d = 7) with a length: 1 m - 7 pieces, 1.5 m - 1 piece, 0.6 m - 4 pieces;
- 1 mm thick plywood kerchiefs or tube connectors - 16 pcs;
- squares of the same plywood for crosses - 2 pcs;
- the fabric is durable and light, in areas where there is no strong wind, you can take packages garbage and durable films;
- glue, nails for wood;
- We assemble two frames with dimensions of 1x1 m.
- At the joints of the longitudinal rails (spars) with spacer rails glue kerchiefs, at the corners of the frames - also (for tubes - just install the connectors). Attention! Leave one spar loose until you insert the frames into each other.
- Connect the frame, insert the last longitudinal rail.
- We connect the crossings - squares of plywood need to be inserted between the slats and nail them with small nails. Carbon tubes are connected with special parts or with the help of scrap materials.
Cover and wing:
- We cut the fabric into two stripes 32 cm wide each. Try on the strip, wrapping it around the snake - it should protrude beyond the contours by 10 cm. If you are not going to sew a nylon cord for strength, you can leave less.
- Check that the fabric does not sit tight, but does not sag.
- Sew it in the belt.
- We cut off the shoulder stitches, sew in them a cord or twine.
- We tie them to a large frame and to the corners, after which we sew to the spar.
Box snake ready! It can also be decorated with tail and patterns on strips of fabric.
There are many cases in which the snake had such great resistance that it lifted children up into the air. This usually ends with injuries, but there have been lethal cases.
A fishing line or string must correspond to the size of the structure, otherwise it will be very offensive when the snakes fly away.
Do not launch kites if power lines are nearby. In addition, for the launch of very large kites in some countries, it is necessary to contact the police for permission.