How to choose a wife, so as not to overpower the prodigal thoughts?
- In one Orthodox book on combating thoughts I read: “In order not to tempt the prodigal thoughts, you need not to look at beautiful female faces.” And how in this case, choose your wife?
Video answer from Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov to the question about choosing a life partner
- Well, yes, maybe look at the figure then? This advice is, of course, ancient. Then they wore clothes that did not emphasize the figure, but, on the contrary, hide its features. Only persons limited. And now ... Here, as they say, do not drink water from the face. Therefore, it is better to choose a wife for mental and spiritual qualities. Then they will not temptprodigal thoughts. And then - if you look for a long time at the face of someone with whom you communicate a year, another, third, then you begin to understand how beautiful he is.
- Even if the appearance is not so attractive?
- No, it generally ceases to influence somehow. No, well, there are, of course, beautiful women who have perfect faces, but this is all like an antique object in the house: there is the head of Venus, or the daughter of Nioby,or Apollo Belvedere. Well, beauty is beauty, and nothing can be done about it, it will always be. Like Elina Bystritskaya. As she was born beautiful, she is already over eighty, and she is beautiful. Well, such facial features, such proportions, such eye color, you can’t do anything about it, that's all. But still it is not important for family life.
- It is important for many that their life partner be beautiful.
- I like this very much to accept and respect. But if this beauty is without the content of the heart, it will not bring joy. There is even a “good” word, maybe you heard it? Bitch
- Yes, and more than once.
- Here you go. And what happiness can there be? Even if mom and dad bless.
- Sometimes a bitch and in the guise of men.
“A bastard or a vulture is the name of a bird of prey.” Everything happens, and children are like that. Genes!