How do I remove the windshield?
In the life of every motorist can ariseThe situation when the windshield of your favorite car must be replaced, and before that, respectively, remove. After all, it may well be that the windshield has cracked or crashed. But not all owners of their iron horses tend to contact the car service: some want to save money, and some try to do everything themselves. In this article we will give you some tips that relate to removing the windshield of the car. Thanks to our recommendations you will learn the fineness of replacing the windshield, learn a few tips that will facilitate your work and help to protect the car from damage. So, how to remove the windshield.
Ways to replace the windshield
- The very first, and as you may think, the mostThe simplest way to remove glass is as follows. We take from the house a thick blanket or veil, we put it in the salon, on the floor. Further, with the help of several blows with a hammer, we spread the glass to smithereens. Well, that's it, joke. I would like to say that it is necessary to take out the glass very carefully, since the fragments from it are long and difficult to clean, why should we waste valuable time.
- Well, now, let's take it seriously. The second way, with which you can remove the windshield - a special machine. It makes accurate, quick cuts with a special blade. This method is used in modern glass workshops, and not everyone has this machine at hand if necessary.
- Therefore, we will consider a third, more accessible and simple method, namely, the way to remove glass with a string. And by the way, when you decide to replace the glass, take your friend with you to help.
How to remove the windshield yourself
- So, let's get down to business. To begin with, we need to remove all external parts that will make it difficult to dismantle. Be sure to remove the windshield wipers and trim. And protect your car from scratches, because when dismantling, you can accidentally scratch the hood. To avoid this, cover it with a cloth (a blanket, a blanket). If the glass can be squeezed out - it's good, if there's no need to cut it with a string.
- Take the string from the guitar (third, fourth orfifth number). The string must always be braided. The thing is that when attaching car windows to the body, many car manufacturers use silicone (especially for foreign cars). So, I'll tell you a secret, the braid on the string will help to easily cut this glue.
- Next, choose the convenient angle for us at the landing sitea windshield, and, with the help of an awl, we make a neat puncture. In the hole we insert our string. In this case, one person must keep his edge of the string from inside the cabin, and the comrade outside the car has a second end.
- Then, we direct the string towards the silicone, gently sawing it. So we have to walk around the entire perimeter of the windshield.
- Now carefully take out the glass and put it away.
- I want to say, carving out the windshield, be careful. Make sure that the string does not damage the plastic parts in the car.
Tip # 1: When you dismantle the windshield, the remains of the old silicone remain around the perimeter. Some motorists clean it off, thinking that it's better. But this is a delusion. The old silicone will additionally hold the new glass after installation, it is like an additional clutch between the glass and the seat.
Tip # 2: In the process of work, it will be easier for you if you work in mittens.
This way it is possible to dismantle not onlyfront glass of your car, but also the rear. That, in principle, and all that is necessary to know the car enthusiast, who decided to do the dismantling of the windshield of his car. I would like to add that in fact there is nothing complicated in this process. Maybe someone will tell you that you will not get anything done, do not listen. Thanks to this method of dismantling, you can save a lot of money for which you can buy something you need for your favorite iron horse. The main thing in this business is accuracy and caution then everything will turn out as it should.