3 useful recipes for boiled broccoli
1 cup of steam broccoli contains about 55 calories, 11 grams of carbohydrates and 3.7 grams of protein. There is no fat in it at all. There is also no need to worry about a large amount of sugar - 400-450 g of this non-starchy vegetable contains only 4 grams of it.
Broccoli is considered a favorite in good diets. When steaming it, a large amount of nutrients is retained, including vitamin C, choline chloride, calcium, phosphorus and potassium.In relatively large quantities contains: thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, K and E, folic acid, iron, magnesium, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese, fluorine and selenium.
Boiled vs raw
Unlike some fruits and vegetables, steam does improve the nutritional properties of broccoli. 400 g of raw asparagus cabbage has a smaller amount of nutrients compared with the cooked version.While all the nutrients remain, heat breaks down molecular bonds, which leads to the release of other valuable trace elements and antioxidants.
Another reason to cook broccoli is its anti-cancer properties. Scientists from the University of Illinois found that after boiling for about three to three minutes, a sulfur molecule, known as sulforaphane, a natural cancer fighter, is released.
Broccoli can be cooked tasty in a conventional pot with a lid, or in a double boiler or a slow cooker.
Water should be poured so that it does not reach half the height of the vegetables. The best pot is where the steam is between the top of the vegetables and the bottom of the lid. It is important not to use too much water when cooking broccoli. When the fluid level is very low, do not leave the pan unattended.
How long it takes to cook broccoli depends on the size of the pieces of vegetables. Usually this period takes 5-7 minutes.(Frozen can cook a little longer), but you should check readiness every 2 minutes. A good way is to try to pierce the pieces of stems and inflorescences with a fork. If the teeth pass without much resistance, then the vegetables are ready.
It is also important for cooking that the pieces of the stem and inflorescences are approximately the same size. The stems are also tasty, and if they are finely chopped, they will be prepared the same time as the flowers.
What to add
Some eat broccoli without anything, while others prefer butter, salt and pepper. You can also serve it with cheese sauce or stewed vegetables, make a batter with an egg and breadcrumbs.
After the vegetables are cooked, you can add lemon juice, almonds and other fillings - it will be really tasty.
Freshly harvested vegetables can be prepared for the winter, then to get frozen broccoli and get a charge of vitamins.
Recipe in a multivariate
First, let's figure out how to cook broccoli in a slow cooker. For 3-5 servings we need:
- 1 kg of asparagus cabbage (aka broccoli);
- 3-4 garlic cloves;
- 5-6 volumetric glasses of water;
- ½ lemon;
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce;
- 4 tbsp. l olive oil;
- salt, a little ground allspice to taste, you can add chili.
- Vegetables need to be washed thoroughly, to separate the inflorescences from the stem and cut the largest ones. Stem part with a knife free from the top skin with processes, cut into thin slices.
- If you have taken frozen cabbage, then you do not need to defrost it beforehand - we put it straight like this.
- First, we place only the stems in the slow cooker, pour water up to half the height of the vegetables and turn it on for 7-10 minutes. How much time it takes to cook - is unknown, be sure to follow. After 3 minutes to the stems need to add buds and water. Do not forget to salt.
- At this time, you need to prepare the pan - pour the oil and put to warm up.
- Garlic teeth need to be grated or finely chopped and put into the pan for 30 seconds. After that, you also need to squeeze the juice of lemon and, if you decide to add it, chili.
- Now it remains only to pour a little soy sauce and pepper.
- Broccoli and garlic oil - it is very tasty!
Here is another recipe - how to cook broccoli in batter.
- 0.5 kg of asparagus cabbage;
- eggs for batter - 2 pcs .;
- 1 tbsp. l flour;
- olive or other vegetable oil;
- 50 ml of cream;
- a couple of garlic cloves;
- salt, seasonings.
- Wash the cabbage, peel and chop. For this recipe, you can take raw or frozen broccoli, and you can boil it in the same way as in the previous method.
- Add cream to the bowl with the egg, then salt and finally put the flour, mix all this well. At the same time, add seasoning.
- Pour oil into the pan, heat it up.
- Each inflorescence should be dipped in batter with egg, flour and spices and sent to roast. It takes about 5 minutes per side.
- Finely chop the garlic and sprinkle the finished dish.
Instead of flour, you can use crackers for breading - then broccoli will also crackle deliciously.
Recipe with sesame, honey and soy sauce
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 1 tbsp. olive oil;
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce;
- 1 tsp honey;
- 1 lime;
- 1 tsp sesame oil;
- 1 tbsp. sesame;
- 350 g broccoli.
- Peel and chop the garlic into thin slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and fry the garlic over medium heat until light brown.
- Soy sauce and honey should be cooked over low heat for 1 minute. Squeeze the lime. Add 1 tablespoon of juice and sesame oil to the mixture of honey and sauce. Set aside.
- Sesame to fry in a pan without oil until light brown.
- Wash broccoli, divide into small florets and peel thick stalk.
- Cut the stalk into thin slices and place it in the steamer together with the inflorescences.
- Cover the pot, bring the water to a boil and cook the broccoli 6-7 minutes for a couple.
- Remove and mix with sauce. Serve sprinkled with sesame.